GDP 2014‎ > ‎Groups and Projects‎ > ‎

Group 10


Week 3

posted 10 Jun 2014, 09:46 by Group Design Projects Imperial   [ updated 10 Jun 2014, 09:47 ]

Seatech engineering 's project has taken a bit of a dive this week. The reason for this is that we peaked too soon. After an excellent second critical session we decided to pursue our subsea option. The BCM will be housed in a steel frame shaped like a trapezoidal prism. This frame will be resting on 4 suction caissons and lowered 136 m down onto the seabed using a crane vessel. Dom and Ling Wei have been staying late trying to finalise dimensions so that we may start an FE model by Monday. At the moment the stress has very much been building up as we realised there is much more to do and our progress has lost speed. It will prove hard to impress AMEC to the same extent we have last week. At the moment we are relying on unsurpassed Google Sketch up skills, courtesy of team
member Bill.

Overall the challenge this week has proven to be bigger than anticipated and left us drowning in work. We delved and dove too deep and unleashed a beast of complex numerical analysis, reliance on laboratory testing and computational flow simulation, from none of which we can escape. This week was hard, but will merely prepare us for next week, which might prove the most intense of all as we will attempt CFD modelling around BCM machinery start studying advanced sediment motion.

Week 2

posted 3 Jun 2014, 07:37 by Group Design Projects Imperial

The Albion project handles the design of a booster compression module by AMEC to an existing platform to increase its production life. On the 1st day Dom was fairly elected as our project manager. This soon proved to be the right decision as he is showing himself to be a great leader to be revered by all. We were given a multitude of metocean data and asked to develop a number of designs for this module. We felt early on that we might be a bit out of our depth with this project (ba dum tss).

In our first week we looked at the different types of offshore structures: floating, semi-submersibles and fixed platforms. Hannah and nicholas considered the feasibility of implementing a floating spar structure to carry the module. Bill and Ling Wei looked at fixed stuctures, Dominik explored a (novel, fascinating and completely originally thought out) mono-column solution. Stephen and Edward delved into the deep by looking at the possibility of a subsea structure. One major issue within the group was deciding upon the group name. We may be known as seatech engineering, but general consensus (okay, just me) is that seateC has a much better ring to it. The 5 days were filled with brainstorming sessions in which we devised interesting ways to implement this new module. By the end of the week panic kicked in and our respectable amazing leader suggested we came in on Sunday (best idea ever). All in all this decision paid off as we blew AMEC away on Monday (#betterthanlastyear #bestin5years #thankyouDom).

The 2nd week required a comedown from the excitement of the 1st week. Realisation soon dawned that this week would consist of calculaing wave loading (Stephen), structures (Dominik and Ling Wei) geotechnical calculations (Ed and Mitesh) and extensive research into the fascinating world of scour and marine growth (Hannah). Did you know mussels and barnacles have a large impact on the drag coefficient of flow past structures, yeah. Bill has proven to be prodigee on google sketchup. We hope his technical drawings of our schemes leave AMEC gagging for more. 

1-2 of 2