[Group 08] Project W
Week 4 saw Group 8 working hard in order to produce the results needed for the last critical assessment. Week 3’s critical assessment gave us a good few technical changes to make namely the column layouts and the core structure of the building. We were also advised on the pile design and construction sequence as the latter needed a lot more detail including sketches of the different steps. We also needed to integrate our sustainable ideas into our design better so this involved developing the services in the building, deciding where everything would go and how much space they would need. The basement design was developed a lot further, especially the accesses as we discovered a car ramp was unsuitable due to our limited space which led us to design car lifts for the required number of cars.
Week 4’s critical assessment gave us the feedback we needed to put the last finishing touches to our design in preparation for the final report, poster and presentation.
Bank holiday Monday and Group 8 were all in Skempton by 9:30, the only sunny day of the week making us just slightly bitter! The Geotechnics team headed off to central library to dive back into their mini library of foundation books while the Structures team put their thinking caps on and started to design new various detailed floor plan schemes. The aim of this week for the Sustainability team was to work out how to integrate the sustainable energy schemes such as both the mechanical and natural ventilation systems and the CHP plant into the building design. This involved research into how much space the CHP plant would take up and where all the different parts of the ventilation system such as where ducts are normally placed. This led on to one of the key considerations for this week which was to design in detail the basement floor arrangement as well as its access. This needed careful consideration as it was necessary to fit in so many car park spaces as given in the brief as well as provide enough utility space for plants and other things. The vehicular flow around the car park also had to be designed.
Both the Geotechnical and Structural aspects of the design this week were developed and involved solutions backed up with preliminary design calculations of loadings and dimensions. Detailed preliminary designs of the structure and foundations have now been completed and in the next couple of weeks will be developed further as new findings will cause alterations to the design. As well as this, services such as lighting have been researched in detail and implemented into the design including the ways to maximise natural daylight. Noise and transportation links have also been developed further to incorporate how noise impacts will be reduced in the building design and how the most efficient transportation links can be accessed and improved upon. The waste management of the site during both demolition and construction is an extremely important factor for a sustainable design. The strategy and plan for this has been developed this week. Team is looking dapper for Critical Assessment number 3 today.
Week 2 began with a rush to get the development presentation ready for the Tuesday. While three people worked on this, the structures team started working on the detailed floor plans for the two different design options we had decided to carry through from week 1. The structural mechanics behind the building’s stability had to be thought through in order to locate the supporting columns. At the same time, the sustainable side of the building was being developed as well as consideration for all the services.
After the development presentations were over, work began on the foundation designs. Time this week has been constrained due to all the additional things going on so development of some areas of the design were not able to be progressed as much as hoped by the time the critical assessment came round! The structures team produced some excellent floor plans, but were put through a rather gruelling Q & A. However, they dealt with it really well! Despite having a barrage of critical comments in other areas of our presentation, we still did ok and now know what we need to tackle in week 3.
Group 8 were off to a swift start this week after receiving our project brief which included designing a mixed use building in London that would benefit the area and maximise return to the developer. This week was a Mike Cook style conceptual design week where we produced five initial designs, and interactively displayed them to our Arup clients which scored us some extra brownie points…not to mention the biscuits we served them on arrival to our first meeting! We’ve had to rethink our massing diagrams as we discovered that our clients only want a small retail component in the development -oopsy!
The huge emphasis on sustainability in our brief led us to do some in depth research on sustainable design options to make our building as green as green can be! We also looked into transportation in the area as well as noise impacts. Last but not at all least; we researched into the social aspects of the area as social integration is an extremely important factor of our development.
Overall, we had an efficient week and our clients were happy with our week one outcome, as well as being gobsmacked by our apparent ‘hidden architectural talents’ -courtesy of Google sketch up!